Signature is currently working with a number of deafblind organisations across the UK to develop new and relevant qualifications which meet the needs of deafblind people and those staff who work with them.
We seek information from you on the level of knowledge and competence that staff require to assist deafblind people. This will enable us to analyse the skill requirements for this workforce, which could inform the delivery of more effective support for deafblind people across the UK.
Our discussions regarding the range of roles, skills and knowledge required have identified some possible actions we might take. The first step is to identify each role and task undertaken by staff who support deafblind people. We need your help to achieve this.
We have included a list of roles to act as a starting point for the discussion. Please let us know of any clear gaps or omissions. Once this list of roles is determined we will invite interested parties to a meeting aimed at developing skills profiles for each of these roles.
We would also appreciate if you can help us to make sure we consult with the right people and organisations by passing this information to those who can make a contribution.
We aim to make this an inclusive, consultative process in which we can all play a role in setting new standards. This will help us to improve the skills and knowledge of staff and will make a real difference to the lives of deafblind people.
Email Doug Bradley at Signature. He is co-ordinating this consultation process.
Roles of those who work with deafblind people
- Support Worker
- ILT Worker
- Personal Assistants
- Home Carers and Home Care Organisers
- Team Leaders for Care Agencies
- Team Managers working within Voluntary Agencies
- Deafblind Interpreters
- Interpreters: BSL, Hands-on, Visual Frame
- Notetakers including electronic notetaking, Speech to text, lip-speakers etc
- Communication Support Workers
- Development Officers for Deafblind People
- People who have undertaken the Diploma in Deafblind Studies
- Rehabilitation Officers for Visual Impairment
- Technical Officers for Hearing Impairment
- Social Workers for Deaf People
- Social Group Organisers
- Specialist Trainers
- Teachers (MSI)
- Classroom Assistants
- Social Workers/Care Co-ordinators based in hospitals and social care
- Guide Dog instructors
- Hearing Dogs for the Deaf Instructors