The past 12 months have been exceptionally challenging for all of us, with restrictions easing and life slowly returning back to normal Signature is proud to support UK Council on Deafness by celebrating Deaf Awareness Week.
The theme of Deaf Awareness Week 2021 is ‘coming through it together’.
Together, the aim is to continue to:-
- raise awareness;
- improve access to education, health, social care and employment;
- ensure people have the accessible information they need;
- advocate and inform the Government and the public at large about Deafness and hearing loss;
- provide Secretariat support to the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Deafness;
- raise awareness about the importance of embracing and recognising language and culture, preventing hearing loss; and
- improve the quality of services for people who are Deaf or have a hearing loss;
- continue to raise the profile and importance of equality, accessibility and recognition through our supporting sub-groups in Deaf Access in Communications (DAC), Employment (including Access to Work), British Sign Language Act Group(BSLA ).
This year it is important that as changes are introduced as a result of the pandemic in so many areas, particularly with the emphasis on remote working, the needs of people who are deaf or have any level of hearing loss are understood and necessary adjustments made to services.
We are always proud to be a part of Deaf Awareness Week and this year, we have decided to revise our approach. We want to take a step back and let you share your experiences.
That is why we are launching the ‘Signature Blog’. The content for this blog will be generated by people within the Deaf community. This isn’t a blog about Signature or BSL qualifications, it is a platform where creators are free to share their own personal stories and views. If you have an article you would like to share, interested in writing for us or have someone that you would love to see featured on our blog? You can get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0191 383 1155.
Alongside that, we will be sharing our own BSL and deaf awareness information such as posters and flashcards, as well as supporting other organisations who are taking part.
We hope to see you showing your support, don’t forget to use #DAW2021 on social. Happy Deaf Awareness Week to you all!
What is Deaf Awareness Week?
Deaf Awareness Week is an annual event primarily owned and promoted by the UK Council on Deafness (UKCoD) to provide Charities and interested organisations under the umbrella of UKCoD to join forces to raise awareness and challenges of Deafness and hearing loss faced by 1 in 6 people in the UK.