We would always recommend that you hold language qualifications 2 levels above the level you wish to teach (if BSL/ISL is your first language you may not need to complete the qualifications, however a teaching qualification is recommended). For example, someone wishing to teach Level 1 Award in British/Irish Sign Language should have at least Level 3 Award in British/Irish Sign Language. It is also recommended that you may need a teaching qualification depending on the educational establishment you chose to work in.
In your day-to-day duties you may have to:
- plan lessons and prepare teaching materials
- set up the classroom, organise displays and resources
- teach whole class lessons, work with small groups and do practical activities
- direct the work of learning support and teaching assistants
- provide a safe and healthy environment and follow safeguarding procedures